Monday

ellington was not a street - Coretta Scott Kin Award - 2005



A couple of years ago, a child in my class checked this book out and asked me to read it to the class. At the end of the day, I asked the child to bring me the book and I read it as a read aloud. Never have I had a book that prompted so much discussion.



The story follows a young African American child who misses the innocence of safety, love, and the friendliness of her father's powerful, life changing friends.



My favorite line of the book is, "our doors opened like our daddy's arms held us safe & loved".



What a change our world has gone through! I'm sure if you talk to your grandparents, great-grandparents they will tell you the same thing. They miss the way the world once was. There was no terror threats looming over our heads, there were no rising gas prices that were keeping people home, the world was a safer place.






Mood Indigo:



it hasn't always been this way



ellington was not a street



robeson no mere memory



du bois walked up my father's stairs



hummed some tune over me



sleeping in the company of men



who changed the world



it wasn't always like this



why ray barretto used to be a side-man



& dizzy's hair was not always grey



i remember i was there



i listened in the company of men



politics as necessary as collards



music even in our dreams



our house was filled with all kinda folks



our windows were not cement or steel



our doors opened like our daddy's arms



held us safe & loved



children growing in the company of men



old southern men & young slick ones



sonny til was not a boy



the clovers no -rag-tag orphans



our crooners/we belonged to a whole new world



nkruman was no foreginer



virgil akins was not the only fighter



it hasn't always been this way



ellington was not just a street






What does this story mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment