Monday

Pollyanna movie vs. book







Growing up, one of my favorite books was Pollyanna. I know this might be an unusual choice for a favorite book, but something about Pollyanna's optimistic character just drew me in!





Pollyanna, the novel, was written in 1913 by Eleanor H. Porter and is now considered to be a classic. Pollyanna was a young orphan who was sent to live with her wealthy aunt Polly. Although they have similar names, their characters are much different! Aunt Polly is not used to being around children, and can come off quite rude, whereas Pollyanna always has a smile and a cheerful attitude to greet anyone. She gets this from a game her father taught her called "The Glad game" in which she tries to find something to be glad about in every situation.





When tragedy strikes young Pollyanna, the whole village, in which Pollyanna has helped turn into a "glad" village, cheers for her and tries to cheer her up by sending her optimistic encouragements. Pollyanna doesn't stay negative for long. Eventually young Pollyanna is able to come out of her tragedy with a positive outlook! I don't' want to give away to much of the plot in case you would like to read it yourself!










The novel was turned into 2 movies, but the one I remember was released in 1960 and starred Hayley Mills. In this case, I loved the movie just as much as I loved the novel. Although the movie left out more details of the relationship between Aunt Polly and Dr. Chilton, the love story was still there. As well, the movie was able to showcase Pollyanna's cheerful disposition into real life. Also, it was able to show readers just how lovely the wind chimes that Pollyanna loved really were.





There are not many novels turned into movies that I can say I truly enjoy, but this is one of those cases! I encourage all of you to act like Pollyanna and find the glad in all situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment